Applications throughout Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya now open for the 2021 Facebook Community Accelerator Program
In a bid to mitigate the escalating safety disaster, bedeviling the nation, notably incessant kidnappings in faculties which has adversely taken a toll on training, affecting about 12 million kids, resulting in elevated School closures; representatives of presidency, just lately held a excessive Level Forum, at the side of UNICEF and Safe School Initiative focused at nipping the disaster within the bud.
The Opening Session of the Forum, ‘Financing Safe Schools: Creating Safe Learning Communities was chaired by the Honourable Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Dr. (Mrs) Zainab Ahmed, and the Chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, His Excellency Dr. Kayode Fayemi, who gave respective opening statements after, Goodwill Messages from, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Mr. Gordon Brown Hon FRSE, and the Honourable Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauleen Talen.
The personal sector, donors, and multilateral establishments all unanimously, pledged to collaborate in order to take a holistic strategy to creating protected studying communities to redress the training emergency Nigeria is dealing with so kids can safely return to highschool. Other stakeholders additionally acknowledged that the variety of ‘out of school’ kids in Nigeria should be urgently addressed via sustainable coverage motion to keep away from a social and financial catastrophe.
Dr. Ayoade Olatunbosun-Alakija of the Nigeria Emergency Coordination Centre who convened and arranged the excessive degree discussion board opened the discussion board, offering context and background to the impetus for the Forum as she set the stage for discussions and known as for sustainable coverage motion throughout deliberations.
Other notable audio system have been His Excellency Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, the Executive Governor of Kaduna State; His Excellency Aminu W. Tambuwal, Executive Governor of Sokoto State; Ambassador Mary Beth Leonard, United States Ambassador to Nigeria; Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, Honourable Minister of Interior (as represented by Ahmed Abubakar Audi, Commandant-General of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps); Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba – Honourable Minister of State, Education; Rtd. , National Security Adviser Gen. Leo Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff; Mr. Asue Ighodalo, Chairman, Nigerian Economic Summit Group; Mr. Peter Hawkins, UNICEF Country Representative (Nigeria); Ag. IGP Usman Alkali Baba psc, fdc, NPM, Acting Inspector General of Police; Justin W van Fleet; Executive Director, Global Business Coalition for Education; Mr. Aliyu Ahmed, Permanent Secretary (Finance), Federal Ministry of Finance Budget & National Planning; and Mr. Shehu Aliyu Shinkafi, Permanent Secretary (Special Duties), Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning; Mrs Maryam Uwais, Senior Special Assistant to the President of Nigeria on Social Investment; UNODC Representative Oliver Stopel, Ms Aisha Garba Mohammed, Senior Education Specialist, the World Bank Group.
Also in attendance have been Ambassador Catriona Laing, British High Commissioner to Nigeria; Ambassador Ihab Moustafa Awad, Egyptian Ambassador to Nigeria; and Ambassador Knut Eiliv Lein, the Norwegian Ambassador to Nigeria, Ambassador Nicolas Simard, the Acting Canadian High Commissioner, and H.E. Joanna Tarnawska, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Poland to Nigeria; Sen. Hadi Sirika, Honourable Minister for Aviation and UNDP Resident Representative Mohammed Yahya
At the top of the discussion board, Stakeholders dedicated to work collectively to collaboratively plan and implement an ‘Abuja Financing for Safe Schools Compact’ which can embrace the next key components:
- Commitment to develop a participatory roadmap for the design and implementation of the ‘Abuja Financing Safe Schools Compact’ to create protected studying environments.
- Collaborative and participatory planning in any respect ranges of presidency and with neighborhood: All 774 native authorities authorities will likely be engaged in growing plans to implement methods for protected studying environments.
- Oversight, governance and strategic route from regional and nationwide degree, with insights and experience from native, sub-national and nationwide authorities together with multilateral stakeholder oversight.
- Commitment of finance, useful resource and experience from throughout authorities in addition to the personal sector and multilaterals: to allow the event and implementation of a cross-sectoral ‘Financing Safe Schools’ compact technique.
- Public-private partnership and different modalities: to ship the aims and desires of a financing protected faculties initiative.
- Commitment to assessment: to regulate the technique as obligatory with key milestones and aims to be developed to evaluate progress.
A mechanism is in place to develop the Compact over the subsequent 3 months, involving partnership throughout authorities, personal sector multilaterals and civil society. The Compact will likely be delivered in August 2021 to the Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning and different key stakeholders for approval and implementation. The Compact will comprise a method to finance protected faculties and create protected studying communities, a finance plan to help the technique and a roadmap for implementing the technique.