Australian Open is CANCELLED for the first time since the Second World War as organisers give up on rescheduling the beloved golf competition during the coronavirus pandemic
- Men’s and women’s Australian Open as well as PGA Championship cancelled
- The tournaments were due to start in February, 2021 after being rescheduled
- This year is the first time since 1945 the Australian Open has been cancelled
- Organisers considered putting players in quarantine hubs before calling it off
Both the men’s and the women’s Australian Open tournaments – as well as The Australian PGA Championship – were called off after initially being rescheduled from their usual slots in November and December.
The tournaments were due to be played in February next year but will no longer go ahead.
Both the men’s and the women’s Australian Open tournaments as well as The Australian PGA Championship have been called off due to coronavirus (Ryan Chisnall playing with a face mask during smoggy weather in 2019 Australian Open)
The tournaments had been rescheduled from November and December to February next year but have since been called off altogether
Several measures were considered to deal with the pandemic including putting players in quarantine hubs before it was decided the events would be called off.
‘It’s unprecedented and a real blow for Australian golf and its fans,’ PGA of Australia chief executive Gavin Kirkman said.
‘We have collectively spent months in exhaustive consultation with all relevant authorities and our sanctioning partners to try to find a way to stage all three events safely and at that world-class level to which we’ve all become accustomed.
‘But even with multiple contingency plans, it has reached a point where decisions have to be made and this, regrettably, is the one we’ve had to take.’
The highly regarded Australian Open has been running since 1904, only being cancelled once during the final year of the Second World War.
Several measures were considered to deal with the pandemic including putting players in quarantine hubs before it was decided the events would be called off (pictured Inbee Park from Korea at the Women’s PGA Championship)
The men’s open was scheduled to be played at Melbourne’s Kingston Heath and the PGA at Brisbane’s Royal Queensland.
The women’s open was due to be held in Adelaide.
Nick Dastey, director for Australian PGA tournaments said due to the global health crisis, it wasn’t possible for the events to go ahead.
‘We looked at many different scenarios including playing [the men’s events] in a bubble over two weeks,’ Dastey told RSN on Friday.
‘We would have been jumping from Melbourne to Brisbane.
‘And we couldn’t do a bubble and have spectators while if we didn’t have international players then we could have spectators.’
Australia Ladies Professional Golf chief executive Karen Lunn said it was a heartbreaking decision to make.
‘While this has been a heart-wrenching and incredibly difficult decision, logistically there are just too many variables which could put at risk the event’s fine reputation and standing,’ she said.
The highly regarded Australian Open has been running since 1904, only being cancelled once during the final year of the Second World War (Pictured Australian golfer Adam Scott at the PGA Championships in December, 2019)