Fears second coronavirus wave is on its way in New South Wales after 11 new locally-acquired cases

0 4


Fears second coronavirus wave is on its way in New South Wales after 11 new locally-acquired cases were reported overnight and a doctors surgery cluster swells

  • NSW has recorded 14 new cases on Wednesday including 11 locally acquired
  • Three are in hotel quarantine and nine have been linked to Lakemba GP cluster
  • Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced easing of restrictions will be pushed back

New South Wales has recorded 11 new locally-acquired coronavirus cases, as a cluster in south Sydney linked to two infected doctors grows forcing the NSW government to push back a planned easing of restrictions.

On Tuesday, just three cases were linked to the Lakemba GP cluster, but that has now grown to 12 cases. 

The other two new cases are linked to a private clinic cluster, which has now infected ten people.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian was going to announce a further easing of restrictions on hospitality venues, including expanding the ten person rule, but that has now been pushed back. 

Another three infections on Wednesday were found in hotel quarantine taking the total number of new cases in NSW to 14. 

NSW has recorded 11 new locally acquired coronavirus cases (pictured patient in Sydney's Eastern suburbs gets tested for COVID-19)

NSW has recorded 11 new locally acquired coronavirus cases (pictured patient in Sydney’s Eastern suburbs gets tested for COVID-19)

One new case visited the Narellan Town Centre on Camden Valley Way.

They had attended the centre on October 7 from 11.30am-1pm and anyone who visited the venue at the same time is urged to watch for symptoms and get tested.  

Ms Berejiklian admitted some earlier cases had been missed which led to clusters in Sydney’s south-west. 

‘Some of the new cases that have emerged in south-western Sydney tells us, and Dr Chant explained this in great detail this morning, there was some chains of transmission we hadn’t picked up weeks or months ago,’ she said.

‘It’s really important for us to make sure that we’re not missing any of those chains of transmission.’ 

The four-square metre rule for indoor dining will no longer be eased, the Premier said.

Bookings will also remain capped at groups of no more than ten and the number of guests at weddings will not increase. 

The Premier said those changed could still be announced as early as later this week.  

Premier Gladys Berejiklian was going to announce a further easing of restrictions on hospitality venues, including expanding the ten person rule, but that has now been pushed back

Premier Gladys Berejiklian was going to announce a further easing of restrictions on hospitality venues, including expanding the ten person rule, but that has now been pushed back

Premier Gladys Berejiklian was going to announce a further easing of restrictions on hospitality venues, including expanding the ten person rule, but that has now been pushed back

‘We will be holding off until Dr Chant gives us the green light to say we are over the existing current concerns,’ Ms Berejiklian said. 

More to follow. 



Source link

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More