Man, 67, pleads guilty to manslaughter of baby girl who was killed in Plymouth in 1976
- Terence McArthur admitted the manslaughter of Tracey McArthur in June 1976
- McArthur pleaded guilty two weeks before he was due to stand trial in court
- The 67-year-old from Rochdale appeared at Exeter Crown Court via video link
- He was remanded in custody ahead of his sentencing hearing in two weeks
A pensioner has pleaded guilty to killing a baby girl in Plymouth more than 40 years ago.
Terence McArthur, 67, admitted the manslaughter of Tracey McArthur when he appeared at Exeter Crown Court today.
The charge states that he unlawfully killed the child on June 1, 1976.
Terence McArthur appeared this morning at Exeter Crown Court via video link where he admitted the manslaughter of baby Tracey McArthur on June 1, 1976
No further details of the offence were given in court.
McArthur, from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, appeared at court via video from custody.
The case had previously been listed for trial after an earlier not guilty plea by the defendant.
Judge Peter Johnson told McArthur he would be given appropriate credit for his guilty plea when the case returned to Exeter Crown Court for sentence next month.
He said: ‘I’m adjourning this matter to July 12 because this will be heard by Mr Justice Garnham.’
McArthur was remanded in custody until that date.
At a previous hearing Judge Johnson said: ‘This is a very unusual case.’